FAQ: Data Planet rename to Sage Data and URL update
In March 2023, Sage unveiled a brand refresh, including renaming the Sage Digital Library Products to Sage Learning Resources.
To reflect our new Sage Learning Resources brand, Data Planet was renamed Sage Data and updated its platform URL in July.
If your library is a current customer, then please review this FAQ and checklist of administrative tasks to ensure continued access now that the updated URL is live.
When did the Data Planet name change?
Effective March 2023, Data Planet was renamed Sage Data.
What updates can I expect from this new name?
We know it can be difficult to remember new names and update resources—we appreciate your patience as we steadily update our information and resources to Sage Data. Here’s what you can expect from Sage Data:
Same content, same user experience
- Nothing has changed in our content offering, your holdings, or the functionality or accessibility of the platform.
Fresh platform aesthetics
- A new Sage Data logo and color scheme have been implemented on the platform.
All instances of “Data Planet” on the platform and its tools will be updated to “Sage Data.”
- All citations
- All exports, including all file types, XML, and URL links
- All embeds
- All DOI links and datasheets
All instances of “Data Planet” in customer communications and resources will be updated to “Sage Data.”
This includes the following:
- COUNTER reports—the new product name was retroactively applied to all COUNTER reports in July. Your institution’s Secure Center Admin can download any and all COUNTER reports from Secure Center. COUNTER reports with the original Data Planet name are no longer available.
Have there been any changes to the platform URL structure?
Yes. The new URL is https://data.sagepub.com/.
When did the URL update occur?
The updated URL was implemented in July.
Is authentication impacted?
No, user authentication is not impacted by the URL update.
Will the URL changes be passed to library discovery service providers/link resolvers?
Yes, the updated URL will be sent to Ex Libris, ProQuest, OCLC, and EBSCO the month after it is implemented to ensure that the updated URLs are incorporated into their link resolver systems and discovery service indexes.
Will updated KBART files be available?
Yes, KBART files with the updated URL will be available by the end of Fall 2023 through ERM and delivered to Discovery Service Providers to be updated in their knowledge base.
Will updated MARC files be available?
Yes, MARC records with the updated URL will be available for download from your Secure Center account in the early Fall. MARC records will also be sent to Discovery Service Providers at that time.
What will happen to the previous URL and are redirects in place?
What administrative tasks do library customers need to complete to ensure continued access?
Please complete the checklist items.
Checklist for Sage Data URL Update:
- Check your institutional IP addresses, including any proxy IP you may have. Any changes to IP addresses need to be emailed to Sage at IPUpdates@sagepub.com.
- Update your EZproxy stanza. Find the most current version on our Secure Center portal or go to https://help.oclc.org/Library_Management/EZproxy/Database_stanzas/Sage_Journals and download the latest Sage stanza. Add the stanza to your EZproxy config.txt file, then restart the EZproxy server. Finally, email your proxy IP address to Sage at IPUpdates@sagepub.com.
- Update your Open URL or EZproxy prefix within Secure Center.
- Review our off-campus access options. In addition to EZproxy, Sage supports Open Athens & Shibboleth, as well as username and password access.
- Ensure your institutional logo has been uploaded for display on the platform.
- Replace your Data Planet catalog listing with the new URL, resource name, and description:
- Sage Data
- Find, visualize, and share billions of U.S. and international statistics from trusted sources that cover business, crime, health, labor and more with Sage Data.
Need help? Contact us
For technical support, please contact OnlineSupport@sagepub.co.uk.
My questions have not been answered; who may I speak to?